Prime Video and IMDb TV, Amazon’s premium free streaming service, today announced a licensing deal with Sony Pictures Television which will provide both streaming services a suite of classic television series from legendary producer Norman Lear. This collection marks the largest volume of Norman Lear complete series content ever available to stream.
227 and Diff’rent Strokes will launch on Prime Video on Thursday, July 15, and will be available to Prime members at no additional cost to their membership. Additional titles including The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, and Sanford will launch on Prime Video later in 2021.
All in the Family, Good Times, Maude, and One Day at a Time will launch Thursday, July 15, on IMDb TV. This will be the first time that episodes of Maude and all seasons of All in the Family are available to stream.
“Life is a collaboration. Writing, directing and producing films and television is perhaps the most collaborative work of all. In 2018, our Act III Productions sat with the team at Sony Pictures Television and formed a partnership to not only produce new content, but to bring a new awareness to my former Embassy library. That Sony found a home for that library with Prime Video/IMDb TV where new generations could find it, is the best present a man entering his 100th year can have,” said Norman Lear.
“Norman Lear is a national treasure and his impact on television and popular culture is immeasurable,” said Jennifer Salke, Head of Amazon Studios. “We are so honored to bring his classic television series to Prime Video and IMDb TV so new audiences and a new generation can laugh, enjoy and be inspired, like so many of us have been throughout the years.”
“Norman Lear’s series have never been more relevant or timely. With this deal, audiences will be able to enjoy more episodes than ever before of these groundbreaking series on Prime Video and IMDb TV. We’re thrilled to be able to partner with Amazon to bring these iconic shows to new audiences for 2021 and beyond,” said Keith Le Goy, Chairman, Distribution and Networks, Sony Pictures Entertainment.
At nearly 99 years of age, Norman Lear’s dynamic career in Hollywood has encompassed both the Golden Age and Streaming Era. Lear and his team have captivated hundreds of millions of viewers with their television shows. At one point, Lear was responsible for seven of the top 10 shows in America. Most recently, Lear executive produces and co-hosts LIVE in Front of a Studio Audience… , alongside Jimmy Kimmel. The series set record ratings for ABC and won the Emmy award for Outstanding Variety Special for two consecutive years. In addition to television, he’s the executive producer of two feature films in theaters now, I Carry You With Me and Rita Moreno: Just A Girl Who Decided to Go For It.
Lear has enjoyed a successful career writing and producing programs like The Colgate Comedy Hour and The Martha Raye Show, which ultimately lead him to captivating 120 million viewers per week with his iconic shows of the 1970s and 1980s including All in the Family, Maude, Good Times, The Jeffersons, and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. Lear is a 2017 Kennedy Center Honoree, a recipient of the National Medal of Arts in 1999, a winner of the Peabody Lifetime Achievement Award in 2016, and a proud member of the inaugural group of inductees into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in 1984. He has won six Primetime Emmy awards. Lear is a father to six, a grandfather to four, and the husband of Lyn Davis Lear.
About Prime Video
Prime Video offers customers a vast collection of movies, series and sports – all available to watch on hundreds of compatible devices.
· Included with Prime Video: Watch movies, series and sports, including Thursday Night Football. Enjoy hits like Coming 2 America, The Boys, Tomorrow War, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, Sylvie’s Love, Upload, The Underground Railroad, and My Spy, as well as Emmy and Golden Globe winners Fleabag and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Golden Globe winner Small Axe, Academy Award winner Sound of Metal, Golden Globe winner and Academy Award nominee Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, and Academy Award nominees Time and One Night in Miami… Prime members also get access to licensed content.
· Prime Video Channels: Prime members can add channels like Paramount+, BET+, EPIX, Noggin, NBA League Pass, MLB.tv, STARZ and SHOWTIME – no extra apps to download, and no cable required. Only pay for the ones you want, and cancel anytime. View the full list of channels available at amazon.com/channels.
· Rent or Buy: Enjoy new-release movies to rent or buy, entire seasons of current TV shows available to buy, and special deals just for Prime members.
· Instant access: Watch at home or on the go with your choice of hundreds of compatible devices. Stream from the web or using the Prime Video app on your smartphone, tablet, set-top box, game console, or select smart TV.
· Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favorite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
Prime Video is just one of many shopping and entertainment benefits included with a Prime membership, along with fast, free shipping on millions of Prime-eligible items at Amazon.com, unlimited photo storage, exclusive deals and discounts, and access to ad-free music and Kindle ebooks. To sign up or start a 30-day free trial of Prime, visit: amazon.com/prime.
About IMDb TV
IMDb TV is a free streaming video service with thousands of premium movies and TV shows available anytime. Always entertaining. Always Free.
· Expansive Catalog: IMDb TV is a modern television network, offering viewers ambitious originals, including Leverage: Redemption, Alex Rider, Moment of Truth and Top Class: The Life and Times of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers, and an always updating library of broadly appealing hit movies and TV shows that customers would expect to see on a paid service. IMDb TV adds new titles to the service every month across a wide selection of genres including comedy, family, romance, thrillers, science fiction, documentaries, horror, and more.
· Free: IMDb TV is free. No paid subscriptions necessary.
· Half the Ads: IMDb TV has half the ads of traditional linear TV.
· Instant Access: IMDb TV is available as an app on Fire TV and on IMDb apps across hundreds of devices, as a free Channel within Prime Video, and on the IMDb website. To use IMDb TV on Fire TV, customers can find the icon in the “Your Apps & Channels” row or using the Alexa Voice Remote, simply say “Alexa, go to IMDb TV.” IMDb TV is also available as an app on third party devices including Roku, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Sony Android TV devices, Chromecast with Google TV, LG Smart TVs, PlayStation 4 consoles, NVIDIA Shield, and TiVo Stream 4K.
To learn more about IMDb TV, visit www.amazon.com/imdbtv and follow @IMDbTV.
About Sony Pictures Television
Sony Pictures Television (SPT) is one of the television industry’s leading content providers, producing, distributing and carrying programming worldwide in every genre and for every platform. In addition to managing one of the industry’s largest libraries of award-winning feature films, television shows, and formats, SPT is home to a thriving global content business, operating a robust portfolio of wholly-owned and joint-venture production companies across the U.S., Europe, Latin America, and Asia Pacific, as well as linear and digital channels around the world. SPT is a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Group Corporation.