Streaming now for Annecy badge holders, Fena: Pirate Princess was selected as a Work in Progress series with a panel featuring director Kazuto Nakazawa and producer Rui Kuroki from studio Production I.G. During the panel, which is available for Annecy attendees through the end of June, the pair shared their inspiration for the series, fun anecdotes from production, and presented behind the scenes art including a selection of backgrounds, character art and more.
Regarding the director’s inspiration, Nakazawa cites shojo manga as a major influence, “It made me want to make an anime with a flavor of Shojo manga in it.” He also mentions that Fena: Pirate Princess has adventure and action “…but it is basically a love story.”
Fena: Pirate Princess, a Crunchyroll and Adult Swim original, follows the adventures of Fena Houtman as she is on the run from pirates and the English Navy and must rely on a crew of Japanese samurai to unlock her family secrets…and an unimaginable treasure! The half-hour animated series is directed by Kazuto Nakazawa and Production I.G. serves as the animation studio.
Crunchyroll and Adult Swim are also introducing the main characters and Japanese voice cast:
· Fena Houtman will be voiced by Asami Seto: A positive, cheerful orphan despite her traumatic past. Known for her pale skin and glowing silver hair.
· Yukimaru will be voiced by Ryota Suzuki: The introverted, katana-wielding bodyguard of the Houtman family. He is extremely protective of Fena.
· Shitan will be voiced by Takahiro Sakurai : This handsome, elite warrior can kill with his bow and arrow – or his looks. Though on the surface he seems aloof, he greatly values his friends.
· Karin will be voiced by Aoi Yuki: Raised by a family of blacksmiths, Karin geeks out over technology like her rifle, which she uses to great effect in battle.
· Enju will be voiced by Gen Sato: Kaede’s elder twin. They both use a spear and wakizashi in battle, they’re both friendly and mischievous, but Enju feels he’s more dependable than his younger brother.
· Kaede will be voiced by Ryota Osaka: Enju’s younger twin. They both use a spear and wakizashi in battle, they’re both friendly and mischievous, but Kaede feels he’s more manly than his elder brother.
· Tsubaki will be voiced by Jun Osuka: The oldest and most mature member of the group, he manages everyone’s wild energy. He’s also the cook, but when he fights, he uses a short ninja sword.
· Makaba will be voiced by Shintaro Tanaka: This mountain of a boy prefers fighting in close quarters with brass knuckles. When he’s not fighting, he’s kind-hearted and mild-mannered.
· Salman will be voiced by Manabu Muraji: An older knight who was once called “Salman the Onslaught” for being so deadly with a spear. He’s known Fena since she was a girl as he served the Houtman family for some time.
· Otto will be voiced by Hiroaki Hirata: Another older knight who served the Houtman family and possessed an intimidating nickname in his younger days – “Otto the Blitz” for his quick swordplay.
The main staff for the series includes:
· Original Story – Kazuto Nakazawa x Production I.G
· Director – Kazuto Nakazawa
· Screenplay – Asako Kuboyama
· Music- Yuki Kajiura
· Music Production – FlyingDog
· Animation Production- Production I.G
Fena: Pirate Princess will simultaneously premiere dubbed in English on Adult Swim’s Toonami and stream subtitled on Crunchyroll later this summer.
Adult Swim (AdultSwim.com), launched in 2001, is WarnerMedia’s #1 brand for young adults offering original and acquired animated and live-action series. Airing nightly from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. (ET/PT) on its linear channel, and also available through HBO Max, Adult Swim is basic cable’s #1 network with persons 18-34 and 18-49, and is seen in 94 million U.S. home, reaching over 40 million viewers via HBO Max.
Crunchyroll connects anime and manga fans across 200+ countries and territories through the content they love. Best known as a top streaming service delivering AVOD and SVOD content, Crunchyroll also provides experiences to deepen fan engagement and community through social, events, games, consumer products, content distribution, content creation, and manga publishing.
Fans have access to one of the largest collections of licensed anime through Crunchyroll, Anime Digital Network (in partnership with Citel, a subsidiary of Média-Participations), and Anime on Demand video streaming services, translated in multiple languages for viewers worldwide. Viewers can also access simulcasts – top series available immediately after Japanese broadcast. Crunchyroll’s services also extend to licensing of theatrical, TV, home video, consumer product, and video game rights.
Fans engage further with events (including owned events Crunchyroll Expo, Anime Awards, Crunchyroll Movie Nights, KAZÉ Anime Nights), consumer products through eCommerce and retail partners (Crunchyroll, KAZÉ, AV Visionen), Crunchyroll Games, KAZÉ Games, and manga (KAZÉ Manga, Crunchyroll Manga app, Crunchyroll Manga Store).
Crunchyroll was founded in 2006 and is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Paris, Lausanne, Chisinau, and Berlin (AV Visionen). VRV (U.S.) and Eye See Movies (Germany) are also Crunchyroll brands.
TV, Streaming & Entertainment News
- Heather Locklear Returns to Television with the New Lifetime Biopic “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff: The Kristine Carlson Story”
- Peacock Drops Trailer for Season Two of Conspiracy Thriller “Departure” Starring Archie Panjabi, Streaming in August, on Peacock
- Investigation Discovery’s Hit Series “Disappeared” Returns as a Podcast